Friday, January 30, 2009

I'm Not Your Canvas! Oh wait...

Sometimes college students find themselves doing jobs you never thought you would do. I, for example, am now an art model. I sit in front of people and then they draw me. I inspire art.

I've gone two sessions, and I only get a few jobs a month. It is quite the interesting job. My first session, I sat in the middle with two other models while the teacher gave a minny lesson. I thought it was so fun to listen to the teacher, and I even learned a few things about drawing faces.
All of a sudden I look over a a guy is staring at me. It freaked me out a little, until I realized that he was drawing me! I had to remind myself that this wasn't creepy, it was my job.

Being a model is pretty easy, I just sit there. That is it. Of course I don't know how good it is for my self esteem. During the breaks I went around and looked at what they were drawing. Some were very nice, but there were some that made me cringe. I thought, "Is that really what I look like?"

On Wednesday, I sat in the chair, holding still, for the guy who was drawing me, as I listened to the teacher. He was trying to get his students to understand the planes on a face, and how they really do apply. I knew I was in trouble, when he paused mid sentence, and asked, "Do you have to do anything after this class? I'm sure it will wash off."

Before I knew it, he hand charcoal in hand and was drawing the planes of my face, on my face. I felt ridiculous, but hey, all in the name of art right?

I sat there feeling a bit like a coloring book page. On the other hand I really do think it helped the students, because as i went around to the students easels during breaks, i wasn't ashamed of my face. The pictures actually looked like me.

5 comments:

Julie Marie Winans said...

You are a beautiful girl (inside and out)and they should be so honored to draw you.

ESN said...

I think this is a good job for you. After what you had to endure at my house I am kind of glad you got a job just being still. Although if they thought they could have gotten away with it I know my boys would have loved to have drawn all over your face! LOL

EDETR's Dad said...

Are there models on Planet Tressa?

Deborah said...

HA HA Come on Tressa. Tell them what you really do!

amberkei said...

How cool...I always wondered how that would be! Do tell more when you get a chance so I can live through you!