Friday, February 6, 2009

Umm..Say That Again?

My Book of Mormon class is so fun. In my class, I've got the really funny people, and the incredibly spiritual people. Last Friday we had a date with my Book of Mormon class. We went to Brother Bagget's house and watched a video about Lehi's family. In short, this is definitely my favorite class.

And then we hit Isaiah.

The way the schedule worked out, we had to finish all of the Isaiah chapters in two classes. Holy Cow!!! I found myself spending all day reading 15 chapters. As I was doing my work sheet I really do think I sustained brain damage.

In the middle of figuring out when exactly Jerusalem would be destroyed, I remembered a quote from Joseph Smith. It was something to the effect of, "If you read Isaiah with the spirit, it is simple to understand." I found myself thinking "Are you sure?"

Then after I struggled through another chapter, I remembered that in 3 Nephi 23 Jesus commands us to read Isaiah. "For great are the words are Isaiah." The inner baby in me started stamping my feet and saying in my most whiny voice, "But Why???"

I understand that Isaiah had an extremely difficult task of translating wondrous visions into words we could understand, but really what is this guy talking about?

I am determined to understand Isaiah, but after this week I've realized that this is going to be a life long process.




"Great are the words of Isaiah."

4 comments:

ESN said...

LOL. I agree...on so many levels.

EDETR's Dad said...

Tressa, I totally understand. Also know that the more you read the scriptures and not just Isaiah the more he will start to make more sense.

By the way, it looks like it is snowing like crazy outside. Has the school called a snow day yet? Last week I think Rachel went to one full day all week.

Deborah said...

Oh my funny little Daddy. What is a snow day in Rexburg? They would only call one of those when H--- Freezes over. There are snow drifts that are twice my side and I am still expected to trek through the blizzard and be in class at 8 in the morning. I'll bring it up with the president though.

PS. Tress I love your little pictures and how you posed especially for this blog.

Rachel said...

Great are the words of Isaiah huh? that makes me think of a little boy you love whos words are also great and hard to understand. He reallt misses his Fressa. Next time you read Isaiah think of the little boy.