Saturday, February 28, 2009

It's Not How it Used To Be.

College is different then high school.  Very very, different.   

My senior year of high school, I remember feeling so boxed in.  I hated that I went to school for one chunk of time, and it totally cut in to my most productive hours.  When i was at school I would just sit there.  By the last semester, all of my teachers would be done with the lesson withing fifteen minutes of the beginning of class.  I think they wanted us to leave just as much as we did.  

Anyway it really bothered me that I would waste all that time, when I had things I needed to do.  I spent most of my time in the library, and my flash drive became my best friend.  Don't get me started of the time I thought I had lost it. 

College is different.  I scheduled my classes so when I generally feel like working, I don't have class.   And when a professor is done with his lesson, we can go.  Once my science teacher, Brother Ben, gave us a shot lecture, and then we were out of class within 20 minutes.  It was awesome.

On the other hand I did love not going to school.  If I was a little sick I had no qualms about not going to school.  I would usually go to seminary, but school was expendable.  It's not the same here.

In all of my classes I'm graded on attendance. I have to go to classes, or else my grade suffers.  Maybe its just because I'm new, or I'm my fathers child, and I have "Go for Every Point," running through my head.  I don't know, but I can't seem to skip a class.  

Last Thursday I found myself so sick I wanted to die.  There was nothing I wanted more than to curl up in my bed as I alternated between burning up and freezing cold.  

It was the weirdest thing, I found myself putting on my shoes and coat and going to class.  I don't know what came over me.  I do love my English class, and my professor (which is a good thing because I sit right under his nose, and he calls on me everyday).  

That day he had me read two essays aloud to the class, which turned out to be a good thing because it distracted me from me wanting to die.  Unfortunately we went on to watch a movie about sentence structure, and I was back to dieing.  

I made it through however, and my beautiful sister brought me more medicine then I could ever need, which got me through the week, and on to Saturday.  I didn't miss any class. 

I still wonder why?  I really felt crummy, and I stayed home from high school for much less.  I do have, "Go for every point," running through my head.  Maybe its the fact that I'm actually paying for these classes.  I don't want to waste that money.  I'm going to soak up as much knowledge as i can for my dollar.  

Hmmm.  I don't know if this deal is really fair.  Oh well.  

See you at class.

5 comments:

Rachel said...

Tressa it seems like there is a bug going around. well I just want to say your awesome.

EDETR's Dad said...

Yes, you should go for every point. I think you will find that as you go for every point you will need to attend class whether or not they give points for attendance. So often and more so in the upder division classes you will need to attend so you can get the material that the professor teaches or other important information.

I'm glad you are doing your best at school.

ESN said...

Wow, you are growing up. I see this as a clear sign of adulthood!

Six Boy's Dad said...

Stop Whining!

Deborah said...

I feel like I did it to you. Oh and Tress, here's a secret... every teacher will give you one or two absences free of loosing points. So that means you don't have to feel so bad about missing class every once in a while! I got your back sister!