Monday, January 19, 2009

I don't Think I'm in Maryland Anymore

I've had this weird feeling all week. I finally figured out what it is. I am suffering from culture shock. Being at BYUI is such a culture shock. I don't mean being out west again, I mean being at BYUI. It is a very different place, and I'm just beginning to understand.


I guess culture shock is the one thing that didn't expect to feel. I knew I'd be a little homesick, shy and nervous, but I didn't expect to feel totally out of my usual bubble. I'm mean Mormonism is my culture. I thought I would adjust just fine,because everyone hear is Mormon! I am just so used to meeting someone and mentally preparing myself to defend my beliefs and standards. I don't have to do that here.

It is so nice. You can talk to people with more ease, because we are all coming from the same foundation. People are still really different, but there is a sort of safety at this school.

The hardest thing to get used to, is having the gospel talked about freely in classes. My first Science lesson discussed how science and religion can coexist. In math my teachers favorite saying is, "Math is the language with which God wrote the universe."

In every class we are asked a question and with out fail, some one will somehow bring up the gospel. My first instinct is to cringe. I think, "You can't bring up the gospel. They'll mock you out of class." Then the teacher will approve the comment and continue on. It is hard to get used to after a lifetime of defending my religion in class.

The spirit is definitely hear on campus. All of the buildings are dedicated, and it's so easy to walk out of one of them feeling up lifted, thinking about how your testimony has been strengthened by that class. It is a beautiful experience, and I love it.

3 comments:

ESN said...

That is how it was for me growing up in Utah. I miss that part of life. I think it would be very easy for me to go back to. And although I miss that comfort, I am grateful I am now in the mission field daily. Although like you it was total culture shock for me.

Deborah said...

Tressa Lee, I am so glad you are able to experience the spirit of ricks! I don't know what I would have done with out you this semester. you are such a little blessing.

EDETR's Dad said...

Tressa, I think you will find that the church schools are a special place. There is a spirit there that is not on any other campus. So enjoy it while you are there. I hope one day you have the chance to go on and get a masters degree. Perhaps your next school will be a non church school.