Sunday, January 11, 2009

You're Going to Idaho! It's Cold Up There.

When I would tell people that I was going to Idaho, they would always say, "You're going to Idaho. Its cold up there." It was that or some variation of that. I never could come up with an adequate response. Usually it was something like, "Yep." They would walk away impressed with my college vocabulary.

Now, don't get me wrong, I new it was cold. I asked Santa for sweaters this year for Christmas. I had listened to my sister's stories of freezing nose hairs. I was prepared for the winter weather, we call "the cold."

After spending a week in Idaho, I'll say this. I am seriously reconsidering appreciation for the snow. In high school, it meant a day of. In college it means two extra pairs of socks before I go out in the morning.


This is a picture of me and some of my neighbors last week. We just came from the Stadium Sing. At 9pm, on Sundays a bunch of people gather together and sing church hymns. At first it's really nice. Then by the second song I realized my legs were really cold. By the forth song I realized I wasn't sure if I had toes anymore. Everyone cheered at the last song. It meant we could go home and get out of the cold. It took me an hour to stop shivering.

I did hear something at the stadium sing that I really liked. I overheard a boy saying that you only fall once a semester. You have to slip once, but you only slip once. I thought, "Score, I can handle once."

The next morning I headed out bright and early to look for a job. As a I was cutting through a parking lot I was walking on a patch of fresh beautiful snow. Oh that deceptive snow. It was covering very slick ice, and down I went.

After quickly looking around to make sure no one saw, I began to get up. "Well," I thought, "At least I took my fall with limited embarrassment." I finally got up right. I took one more step. After landing once again on my back side, I realized that there are liars at BYUI.

Happy Winter Weather everybody..

2 comments:

ESN said...

I don't envy you the cold. But I am glad to hear your still have a smile in your attitude. And I have seen some shoe chains. We never did get you a Christmas present, if you haven't gotten any shoe chains yet, let me know. I will get them for you. Of course you can't walk on regular floors with them, talk about falling....ooops! But they are easy on and off. What is your shoe size?

Deborah said...

Tress, You don't have to go stand in the cold for stadium sing. LOL it's not required for graduation. My first semester my roommate would go and try to get me to come as well. I went I think twice and then the rest of the sundays I would sit in my apartment sipping hot coco as the froze their tail feathers off. Ha I am planning on posting picktures of the snow drifts that are higher then my head once I get back to my blogging.