Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Miracles (Jan 3)

Dear Family,
 
So this past week has been a pretty crazy week, but there have been a ton of miracles.  I just don't even know where to start.  I started the week feeling pretty crummy.  I was feeling like a bad companion and especially like a bad missionary.  Now I feel like a good companion and a adequate missionary.  I'm happy with that.  I think mostly because I feel like the Lord is trusting Sister Gittins and I with some of his children. 
 
Okay-  So we picked up 2 new investigators this week. They are 2 sisters who are living together while their husbands are deployed.  They both have 5 month old babies and one sister has a 3 year old daughter.  Sister Gittins and her previous companion had done a ton of service for them but were never able to teach them a lesson.  Pretty much all of this transfer we were trying to go over and see them to start teaching them but we either were never able to share a lesson or they were never home.  (Where do you go with a toddler and 2 babies!)  Anyway were were at the point where we were going to not go anymore and Thursday were didn't have them on our schedule at all (Which we usually put them as a back up or something)  Anyway we were going to find a less active and Sister Gittins didn't know the street which is weird because she like knows the area perfectly.  Well we thought we would try the neighborhood where these two sisters lived and when we were there we that their car was their.  We thought that we would just try to see them, but honestly we didn't have much hope of getting in the door.  We knocked the door was answered immediately and they invited us in.  After talking for a while they asked us to share some scriptures with them and we have an appointment with them today to start teaching them.  I really hope everything goes through!  They really are great ladies- going through a lot but I know that the gospel will help them. 
 
Oh and we met and passed our contacting goal this week which was really exciting!  Yeah!  We have been struggling to reach our contact goal the past couple weeks because no body seemed to be out.  Which is frustrating.  Anyway this week there were just a ton of people outside.  Not only were we able to meet our contacting goal but we got the year high for the area.  It was a really simple thing but I'm really excited because at least I see some improvement in myself.  At the beginning of my mission I was absolutely terrified of contacting.  Now it's kind of second nature.  Now I just need to work on making them more meaningful.  (which I've even seen improvement in)
 
We gave talks this Sunday.  Brother Anderson called on Friday morning and said he completely forgot that this Sunday was not Fast Sunday and so he was wondering if we could give talks.  Sister Gittins talked on why we serve and I talked about what members can do to help us.  Sunday Morning as we were figuring out what we were going to say, Sister Gittins sent President Cook a text letting telling him we were speaking- because he likes to know when his missionaries are doing this like that.  I thought he wouldn't be able to make it because it was only a couple hours before church started, but sure enough there president and sister Cook were.  They said we did a good job, but it is so nerve wracking to try to speak when your mission president is listening. 
 
Anyway the coolest thing that happened this week was yesterday.  We had a lesson with a recent convert and then a whole afternoon of checking on people.  We were at the church getting ready to leave when this man named Tom came up to the door and asked for a pastor.  We asked if we could help and he said his car ran out of gas.  He is jobless- homeless and doesn't know what to do.  We left a message with our bishop who is the transient bishop and then sat down and talked with him until our bishop got their.  Honestly there were a whole bunch of little miracles that lead him to us.  I'm grateful that they Lord trusted us enough for us to be the ones to meet with him.  Tom has been struggling, and feeling pretty lost.  We sat and talked with him for a long time and I kept thinking, "What can I possible say that can help him."  I knew without a doubt that they Lord had directed him here and that the gospel would change his life but I felt so inadequate to help him.  While we were talking President Cook happened to pass by.  I wanted so badly to call out to him and say, "Help!  You would know how to help him so much more then I could."  but I know president would have said something like "you are a full fledged missionary.  Follow the spirit."  Both sister Gittins and I tried to follow the spirit.  I hope what we said helped.  When Bishop lewellan came and we needed to go to an appointment.  Tom told us he wanted to meet with us again.  We gave him our number.  That's the problem with teaching someone who has no phone or home address.  It's kind of hard to track him down.  Anyway, I don't know if we will ever see Tom again.  I hope we do-  but I think we helped a little bit, and again I'm grateful that they Lord trusted Sister Gittins and I to be the ones who sat and talked to him. 
 
Well I need to go.  The blitz is tomorrow.  I'm more at peace with it, I know that I will learn a lot. I love you all and thanks for your emails.  I loved them.
 
Sister Allred

No comments: