Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Crazy week

Dear Family,
 
I am sorry that I did not send a letter on Tuesday.  Sister Gittins was getting transferred and I literally had no time to write anyone, but it's nice to hear that you actually look for my letters.  I'm not sure if you noticed but I was even feeling a little distracted as I wrote my email.  I'm still a little sad that Sister Gittins got transferred.  I feel like literally in the last few days we made huge breakthroughs and then she got transferred. 
 
Last Tuesday was so busy.  We were constantly moving trying to get everything finished.  (I do want to say I have learned a little bit of the mad Allred packing skill.  I packed both Sister Gittins and Hermana Ortiz-  all of their clothes in one bag each.  It was impressive!  Mostly because they had both been in the area for 6 months and you acquire a lot of stuff after a while.)  Anyway we got to transfer meeting just fine.  They made a mistake in the office and all of the missionaries found out their new areas by logging onto the program we write our letters to president cook on.  It was pretty funny.  Anyway I am now with Sister Christensen.  She is from Vienna Virginia- but her family now lives in Arizona.  I really like her.  I mean I really really like her.  She is so fun and absolutely loves working with they people in the ward.  She was in the same area in Orange county for the 6 months that she has been out (she has only been out 6 weeks longer then me.  What is president thinking?!)  Poor Sister Christensen is going through culture shock.  All of our appointments on her first  2  full days here were in the really ghetto parts of our area.  She said a couple times that her orange county tiara was knocked off.  But she is so friendly that everybody loves her.
 
We have had some really good lessons this week and we had two investigators in church this week!  Yeah!! I hope that keeps on going. Anyway- I'm trying to think of some really good highlights and I can't really think of anything.  It has been pretty stressful because I am the one who is navigating through the area and I don't even have a Thomas guide here.  It is stressful for sure.  Oh my favorite contact this week was an old man named Erwin.  We talked to him for a couple minutes he was so sweet and then when we were leaving he shook my hand pulled me in and gave me a kiss on the cheek.  He did the same thing for sister Christensen (Jeesh her name is really long to type).  We are trying to get an appointment with him later this week.  I hope we can start teaching him because with one kiss on the cheek I am completely smitten. 
 
Like I said before we have had some really great lessons.  It's always a little weird trying to teach with someone new but I think we are doing well.  I think a great thing about transfers is that the new person has a free pass that first week to ask anything they want in lessons.  You can't blame them because they are new.  I did it when I first got here and now Sister Christensen.  It has been great because we prep a little before our lesson and we have gotten some really great information and we can understand a couple of our less actives. 
 
(Okay so the man next to me is playing some "Secular songs."  I really miss those songs so I am now listening to the Mormon.org videos to distract me.  I hope the rest of my email is coherent.)  Yesterday we did some service with a less active we have been working with.  She has to get her home ready for the child protective services inspection that they are expecting because she is taking care of the cutest little 2 year old.  I am really happy that we were able to help a little bit even though there is a lot more to be done.  I am so grateful for the life that I have.  Going out and seeing all these different people I am learning so much.  I see so many different situations- different challenges that come from them and also the different strengths that you get from each situation.  I am so grateful for the blessings and challenges that I have in my life.  Sister Christensen and I were talking about this in companion study.  But I am learning that we all have our unique challenges, but we have to look and see the simple blessings that Heavenly Father puts in our life.  Those huge signs and miracles are actually pretty easy to dismiss.  But when we are in the habit of seeing those everyday miracles that is when we are able to truly solidify a true faith in Jesus Christ.  Okay that is my thought for today. I really hope that made sense. 
 
Anyway I love you and it was so good to hear from you.  I will write later today and possibly send pictures. 
 
Love Sister Allred

No comments: