Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Good week this week! (and happy 100th blog post Tressa!)

Dear Family,
 
Just got back from the temple!!  It was awesome.  Both Sister Christensen and I were counting down the days until we got to go.  I am so grateful for the temple, we actually taught a lesson on temples yesterday and while I was teaching the thought came to me how the temples are the closest thing we have to going back home.  Thinking about that today was wonderful and while I was in the celestial room I just felt good.  Just for a moment I wasn't a missionary, constantly worrying about my investigators, I was a daughter thinking about her heavenly father.  It was peaceful and sweet. 
 
Anyway-  that is why I am late writing.  We just got back from the temple and we grabbed something to eat and now we are here.  I love the temple but goodness gracious it takes up all of P-day.  Sister Christensen made me laugh because in her old area they went to the temple in a limo (I know!)  As we were getting ready to go she told me it wasn't quite the same without the limo. 
 
This week we had an awesome week as far as lessons,  probably the most that I have had in a while- it feels like it anyway- but it was record low for contacting.  I don't know why but there was just no one out this week!  I feel pretty bad because President Cook is really making a push to raise contacting and finding this transfer.  It was rough, but on a super bright note we found a new investigator while contacting. It was great.  Our goal this week for finding new investigators in like ridiculously high but we both feel pretty great about it.
 
Oh!  our investigator in our YSA ward gave me a pencil case!  It sounds so silly but the week before I had complained that I could never find my pencils and then this week as we were walking out of our lesson she pulled out a hot pink pencil case.  I don't know why but that just really touched me that she remembered and that she cared enough to do something about it.  Now I am happy to report that I am no longer loosing my pencils or pens.  It makes missionary work so much easier!  Ha!
 
This week we have also been going around meeting members.  It has been great because since we are both relatively new to the area we have the opportunity to go and meet members that I have not had a ton of interaction with before.  I really like the people in the ward and I hope that I stay here for a while. 
 
I had an interesting interaction this week.  We had a lesson with a returning less active that I have really grown to care about.  Both he and is family are wonderful and I am constantly trying to think about how we can get them to the temple and basically self sufficient as far as their testimonies go.  Well a while ago he confessed that he was having a lot on Word of wisdom issues and didn't really want to change.  After that he has been pretty closed, and it breaks my heart.  Well we had a lesson this week and throughout the lesson they kept talking about how prefect and obedient I was.  It made me super uncomfortable because I am so not perfect, but I can't lie and say that I have ever struggled with word of wisdom issues or law of chastity issues.  Anyway at one point he basically told me that because I have never struggled with those things I could not relate/understand to him and could never help.  It really bothered me-mostly because is stuck a lot of personal fears and insecurities.  I went to bed feeling like the most ineffective missionary ever even though Sister Christensen did a really good job at trying to cheer me up. 
 
The next morning in my personal study I got really randomly side tracked on studying about snares.  As I was reading and looking up footnotes, it was like I was having a personal study session with the Lord.  I learned that the thought that I am an ineffective missionary because I am obedient is a lie that Satan is trying to get me to believe.  I can't believe in that or else I will build up my own snare and get caught.  The truth is- I don't have to be the one that can relate because the Savior has felt everything he is going threw and can relate perfectly.  I just have to testify of the power of the Atonement and that I know for myself personally.  We all have personal struggles and concerns.  Every weakness we have can and will keep us from the celestial kingdom if we do not rely completely on the Lord.  But if we rely on him them we can grow and overcome those weaknesses.  I am so grateful for everything that he has done for us.  Well that is my little ramble for this week.  It was great to hear from you.  I love you all so much.  I am going to try to write a letter this week but I'm not sure if I will have time. 
 
Love,
 
Sister Allred

No comments: