Sunday, December 11, 2011

New Companion-New Area-More people to love

Dear Family,
 
It feels like this week has been 2 weeks.  It has been really good but SO long!  I think mostly because I was so busy getting to know the new area and the people we are going to be teaching.  I really like Sister Gittins a lot.  She reminds me a ton of Ashley Crosby, just in the way she talks and expresses herself.  It's awesome, although I think she might be having a bit of a harder time with the new transition then I am. She was with her last companion for 3 transfers and she loved her a lot.  I'm actually surprised at how I'm feeling.  I thought I would feel really uncomfortable with coming into a new area and trying to get to know knew people but I don't I feel really good here.  Yeah I don't know what else to say about it except that I do feel really good here.  
 
I think I'm going to be staying here for a while because this will be Sister Gittins 4 transfer and it seems pretty unrealistic that she will stay here for another one.  But who knows?  Oh a little more about sister Gittins. She is from South Jordan Utah and she has been out 9 months.  This is her 2nd area and I'm her 4th companion.  It was really cool because on Wednesday we were talking and she brought up a time y first week in the mission when we were at a preach my gospel training and she and I were doing a practice.  I barely remembered it but that is probably because it was my first week.  Anyway, Sister Gittins remembers thinking about me, "She is going to be my companion one day."  The spirit of revelation is strong within this one.  Ha!  Anyway I really like her a lot.
 
I really like the family ward that I'm in.  All of the families that I've met are really nice and welcoming to the missionaries.  I love it.  We also have a baptism on Saturday which is awesome!  We are baptising a girl about my age named Nici.  She is married to a less active who is returning and they have a cute little girl.  I love going over to their house to teach them.  Also Nici and Greg met in Victorville, so we bonded over memories of victorville and silverado-  although it is true that i never actually went to silverado. 
 
The one thing that I really don't like about the family ward is that the ward boundaries are just funky.  That's it- they are just funky and I am having a hard time knowing where I am.  In La Costa is was easy because I would look for the ocean and know exactly where I was.  You just can't do that in Vista.  Also because we are over the Singles ward our singles ward boundaries cover the whole stake.  There have been a ton of times where I wasn't even in my family area and had no idea.  This will be my struggle this week. 
 
I've had to laugh a little this week because Vista and La Costa are very different.  When Sister Gittins and I were out contacting one day I mentioned how the palm trees in Vista were all over grown and the old palm frons were dead.  Sister Gittins said you would see a lot of that in Vista and my first thought was, "La Costa would never dream of having their palm trees like that."  I don't think I ever realized until that moment just how similar La Costa and Columbia were.  Maybe that is why I felt so at home there.  Maybe that is why Sister Bean would call me a spoiled rich girl.  (In a loving and gentle way of course!)
 
So, I got a call last night from a sister in the mission that I had never met but I had heard a lot about.  She asked if I wanted to be in a choir for the Christmas conference we are having on Christmas eve.  I was so shocked that this sister was calling me that I said, "Oh of course!"  Then she went on to tell me that there were only about 12 in the choir, she would sent me the sheet music in the mail, I needed to know my part because we would only have about an hour to practice before we sang in front of the whole mission.  What was I thinking!  Now instead of looking forward to the Christmas conference like I had been doing for about a month, I am dreading it.  Oh gosh what did I just do.
 
Anyway It was great to hear from everyone today.  I love you so much and I'll write you again today. 
 
Love Sister Allred
 
I forgot to ask,  Sister Gittins and I are trying to think of new creative ideas for the thank you notes we do for dinner.  My first thought was to google it but obviously I can't.  If you guys want to brainstorm some things I would really appreciate it.  Also In the YSA ward council I sat next to a guy named Patrick?  I think?  Anyway he asked if I knew the Henderson and I said I did.  He apparently is the Ashley Henderson's brother in law.  Small world!
 
Thanks,
 
Sister Allred
 
 

No comments: