Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Thanksgiving and goodbyes

Dear Family,
 
So this has been a crazy long week, but it has been a good week.  I don't even know where to start.  Last Tuesday after I wrote you we got a call from president cook asking sister bean to train again.  Poor sister bean, she has been super stressed out this entire week.  It doesn't seem real that I'm not going to be her companion.  Transfer meeting is today and I'm going to be going to a new area.  I don't know where yet and I't is making me really sad because I do love la Costa, but I'm sure I'll love where ever I go.  I'm sure I'll love my new companion too. 
 
President knows that Sister Bean and I don't want to be separated.  He came to our ward on Sunday and after Sacrament meeting we were talking and he looked at me and said, "So do you know where you're going?"  I love president cook because he is the sweetest guy, but it is also very clear that he thinks he is hilarious!  I said "No president I do don't."  and then he pulled me in and said, you will learn just as much from your new companion as you did from sister bean.  It was sort of comforting to know that he knew I was concerned about leaving her. 
 
It was embarrassing to have president and his wife there that particular Sunday.  We were at the door greeting people when sister bean realized she forgot her "revelation book."   It's really just a notebook that she doodles in and writes down the spiritual thoughts she has during church depending on how good the lesson is.  Regardless it's hard to get through church without it and so we rushed back to the apartment.  We walked back into the chapel after sacrament just in time to hear the bishopric member say, "We would also like to acknowledge the presence of President and sister Cook."  The ONE time we are late, it the ONE time they come to our ward.  Also were had already been at church form 2 hours!  Anyway, it was pretty funny. 
 
I've been going around giving my goodbyes to everyone.  It has been a really nice experience, because I know that must of the people in this area will probably forget me, but at I do know that I've at least helped a few people.  That has been really nice.  We went to sister Hakensen's Sunday and Monday.  Monday was one of the sweetest experiences.  I don't know if I told you about her but she is a 79 year old Egyptian lady.  She is so sweet and has had a hard life.  Monday we sat and helped hook up her printer and show her how to sign into her email.  Then when we saw she had 2600 email we showed her how to delete them all.  She began to cry and said, "Sometimes I sit at the computer all day and can't understand anything.  I got to bed disappointed.  I knew God would send me someone to help me."  Mom it reminded me of when you said some of your favorite memories were when you just said a prayer with an old lady.  I honestly think I will remember this experience for a really long time.  I'm going to miss her. 
 
We had Thanksgiving with a nonmember.  It was actually wonderful. Especially because through some sort of confusing finagling that I don't really understand our district leader and his companion got to come to dinner too.  It was really nice because it almost felt like having thanksgiving with family.  It was also pretty funny when the dad wanted to show everyone a funny YouTube video.  He pulled it up on the TV and started blasting it.  Only a few people at the house understood why all the missionaries were standing awkwardly in the kitchen really interested in looking at their shoes.  Oh good times!
 
Well I love you and hope everyone is doing well.
 
Love Sister Allred

No comments: