Monday, August 22, 2011

My first week in the MTC

Hi Family,

So this is my first week in the MTC and I am loving it. Well, I'm loving a lot of it. Lots of things I was worried about, when I came on my mission are happening, but at the same time I can also see how the Lord is helping m grow so those things don't bother me anymore. One sister said, "I have always had a testimony that God answers my prayers, but I've never had Him answer them so quickly as in the MTC." I would so agree with that. I have been praying a lot, and it seems like when I wake up in the morning the Lord has given me part of the answer at my door step. It reminds me of the Israelites and the manna from heaven. Now it's my job to implement those promptings and thoughts, and I am trying so hard to do that.

I love my companion. Her name is Sister Lor and she is from Fresno CA. She is Mong and going to Milwaukee Minnesota. It is actually perfect because while she is English speaking, there are a ton of Mong people in that area. There are about 12 people in my district. the other sisters, Sister Havili and Sister Walker, are going to Jamaica along with another elder. Two elders are going with sister Lor and the other 5 elders are coming with me to Carlsbad. It's going to be a pretty interesting ride. This week we have had to do personal study in our classroom, which has been BURNING hot. I honestly don't know who's idea this was because it is so hard for the elders to concentrate. Sister Lor and I have asked for permission a couple times to study anywhere but there. I'm pretty excited because starting today we can study where we want we just have to let the District Leader know. Elder Terry is our district Leader and I feel pretty bad for him, because it is pretty hard to keep the Carlsbad elders focused. Oh well.

We taught two lessons this week and oh my goodness it was hard. One of our teachers Elder Hale, pretending to be Dave, looked really bored as we taught him the restoration and then when we were done he said he had heard all of that before! Hey Dave, when you tell me you know nothing about Joseph Smith then I assume you know nothing about Joseph Smith. Sister Latu, pretending to be Marla just loved the the plan of salvation and it was going great until she started asking for references in the bible. I completely blanked. That was fun. Her lesson was pretty interesting because we had planned to teach her about the Book of Mormon, but then about 20 minutes before we went to teacher her Sister Lor felt really strongly that we needed to teach the plan of salvation. We were in the middle of class and had about 3 minutes to plan but I really think it was the right thing to do.

The computer has a 30 minute timer so I need to wrap up. I really miss everyone at home, and was surprised at how much I am homesick, but I've learned that if I just don't think about it then it is a lot better. Liz was right in her letter when she said I will experience high highs and low lows. But I know that Heavenly Father knows the thoughts and desires of my hearts. On Friday I was sitting in class feeling a little overwhelmed and I thought, I just want a hug from my Mom." I knew that wasn't possible, but I really wanted it. Then that night Sister Webb our coordinating sister person, called me aside and asked how I was doing. She said she just wanted to give me a hug. It wasn't from mom but it was still really comforting.

I know that Lord loves me, and I know I am in the right place. I really do feel good here and the spirit is so strong. I know the church is true. I love everyone at home.

Love Tressa

3 comments:

Six Boy's Dad said...

Tressa, This is so great that you can blog in the MTC. What a great way to reach everyone. Carry those immediately answered prayers into the mission field. Be Powerful!

ESN said...

I told my hubby how she is "blogging" from the MTC. *wink*
It certainly is nice to hear how she is doing.
We love our Tressa!

Deborah said...

ESN!!! You ruined it! I was going to let him think she was blogging herself all through her mission. HA Then maybe he'd get her a little chat. It would have been great! Oh well. You're a good wife.