Sunday, March 15, 2009

Oh, so this is what fun is.

This past Christmas, my family went to the Sappington's for dessert, and Rock Band. I was not to keen on playing Rock Band, but my siblings cajoled me into it. They explained to me that this was what fun was. I hadn't realized it until then.

Here at BYUI I have been learning a lot of things. Among the treasure trove of knowledge is my expanding view on the word fun. Honestly, I'm a homebody. I like to stay inside and read a book. Actually talking to people, while possible, is extremely exhausting. I walk away from social situation, with the sudden urge to apply some deodorant.

Today I would like to announce a break through. Yes, on Wednesday night I actually went out willingly and talked to people.

That night I had no homework, and found myself watching my roommate and her boyfriend make dinner, and hug each other. As exhilarating as this was, I decided I needed to go out, and before i knew it I was walking to the Kirkam into an improve workshop.

I planned to sit and watch, but immediately I was passed the imaginary ball and had to pass the ball while saying something related to ice cream. Before I knew it, I was a blind woman in Rapunzel, a squid playing the Dating Game, and a woman determined to have Lasagna for dinner. I know, utterly absurd, but lasagna was the only thing I could think of.
I was really proud of myself. Me. Tressa Allred actually went out and talked to people. Not only that, but I would make a joke, and people would laugh!! Then they would make a joke, and I would laugh. It was like I was in a conversation and I was enjoying myself.

This really big. Next week, I think I'll actually try to talk to people after the closing prayer. I'm going to really need deodorant for that one.
For your viewing pleasure... my roommates.

This is Tamara and Megan eating Megan's delicious greenbean casserole.

This is Kristie and her boyfriend Josh. Josh is pretty much a staple in our dorm.

4 comments:

EDETR's Dad said...

I'm glad you are socializing. However, don't over do it. You have your good name to uphold.

Deborah said...

Um, don't listen to dad. To you over doing it is just enough. Got out there Tressa and go crazy! PS I am way proud of you!

Liz said...

You and me sister. I hate talking to people too, but it is good for the soul. Have fun.

Rachel said...

Really I think that Deborah is the only one who feels 100% comfertable talking to people. Its great that your doing the whole socail thing.