Thursday, October 16, 2008

I Feel Like I'm Missing Something. Oh, It's the Baby.




Yesterday was my last day as Alex's nanny. I'm still on call as a babysitter for when he gets sick at daycare, but I will no longer see him everyday. I think I'm still trying to get use to that fact. It feels so natural to be at home, but on the other hand I have this nagging feeling. There is something missing.

Today I have spent to entire day watching TV. I haven't gotten out of my pajamas, or brushed my hair. Don't judge me. Everyone does it.

Anyway, around 2 pm I thought maybe I would see about lunch. Then I realized that if I were in Virginia, Alex would be just waking up from his nap. We would have already been to the library, had lunch, and, since its Thursday, we would be getting ready to go on a "Field Trip." After I had that thought, I looked around me and thought, "Weird."

I think I will definitely miss somethings about being a nanny to that family. Alex is just starting to talk. I'll miss taking walks with him. I'll miss feeling like i have responsibilities. I'll definitely miss having a beautiful and fulfilling paycheck every Friday morning.

On the other hand I won't miss feeling pressured to potty train a boy who isn't even one year old. I won't miss only having roughly two hours of down time a day, and I won't miss walking into the apartment in the morning and seeing the kitchen, I had cleaned, be even messier than before. I'm bitter. I can't deny it.

I had a lot of fun as a nanny. It was a really good experience. Maybe someday I'll write a book about it. Probably not.

1 comment:

ESN said...

Have you talked to them at all since you left? I can't imagine trying to go cold turkey, I know my kids are constantly jonesing for some Tressa time and we see you at least once a week!