Monday, September 29, 2008

When Taking the Metro, It is Best To Bring A Baby.


I took Alex to a Smithsonian last Thursday. While trying to find a seat in an already crowded metro car, a thought came to me. People treat you differently when you have a baby. I say this because as I walked into the crowded car three different men, saw me with Alex, and then offered me their seat. I accepted their offers.

As we take our morning and afternoon walks, I mentally prepare myself for all of the greetings I am sure to have. If I were walking by myself and pasted someone on the street, there would be a quick glance followed by a mumbled greeting. When I am walking with Alex, a person looks at Alex, and then smiles. Finally they look at me with a full clear greeting that I am obliged to answer. They either go back to Alex, or ask me questions about Alex.

I once thought it was amazing that mothers knew exactly how old their baby were. Now I understand. It can be exhausting, but I am not complaining. Their are definite advantages to having a baby on your hip, besides the previously mentioned metro seat.

People are more accepting of your stupid mistakes, or if you don't know how to do something. Its like they think to themselves, "Oh, that's okay. She has a baby, and that can be hard. We'll excuse her this once." Maybe it is just the cuteness of Alex that distracts them from my imperfections.

Whatever it is, I'm grateful for it. I'm not ashamed to tell you that I took Alex to the bank. It wasn't because it was a convenient time; no, I was using him as a shield. Let me tell you, it worked. That banking trip was short and painless. I'm planning on using him again.

I'll leave you with another metro thought. When I was trying to get on to a car, but was in the back of the huge cluster of people waiting to get on, I was frustrated because I thought I'd have to wait for the next train. Suddenly the crowds parted simply to let me on. I knew then why the Red Seas parted for the Israelites. It wasn't because Moses commanded it. It was because the Red Sea saw that there were some mothers with babies that needed to get through, and thought it would oblige them. Moses just came along for the ride.

2 comments:

Deborah said...

ed your child as a shield? Who does that? I love you!

ESN said...

Too funny. It doesn't work with six...bummer.