Saturday, October 25, 2008

I Finally Saved A Life.

When I was 15 the Young Women put me in charge of the blood drive they were holding at my church. Since I was too young to actually give blood, I sat and signed people in, while I looking at the Red Cross posters saying, "You can save a life." I decided I wanted to save a life. I could be life superman, but instead of all the battle, and destruction, I could sit in a chair sipping Orange juice. I wonder why superman never thought of that.

Well I have tried to give blood. After I turned sixteen I signed up for both of the blood drives held at my school. Neither of them ended well. The first blood drive wouldn't let me donate, because mom had not dated her signature. DATED! Such a technicality. I asked if I could just leave the room, dated it and them come back to give blood. They were not for it.

The second blood drive I actually got into the chair, and I got stuck with the needle. Unfortunatly my blood did not seem to want to flow. I watched three people donate and leave the chair next to me, while I sat there with my pretzels and half filled bag of blood. Finally the nurse gave up and took the needle out. Apparently my blood had clotted in the needle. I suggested cleaning the needle then sticking it back in there, but they wouldn't go for it.

The third time I went, I actually went to Red Cross Center. I was determined. The third time is the charm, right? Wrong. They couldn't even find my vain!. At one point I had three people surrounding me. They were staring at my arm and telling me to squeeze the ball tighter. I felt like medical mystery. They told me I wasn't drinking enough water and sent me home.

As I prepared to try again on Thursday, I didn't believe it would work, but I brought all my information, and drank a lot of water. Well to make a medium sized story short. I finally gave blood. Yeah. I felt like everybody was rooting for me to. I got tons of thumbs ups and "Good job, Sweetie." They even laughed at my jokes. It didn't take long for me to decide that I liked these people.

Of course then I had to deal with the side effects of giving blood. I almost fainted when I ran up the stairs that night. Oh well, I guess not even Superman can save a life without a couple annoyances.

No comments: