Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Last week in Del Mar

Dear Family,
 
This is my last week in Del Mar.  I have been here for about 6 months now and I love this area.  I didn't realize how much I loved del mar until I started saying goodbye to it.  All day yesterday my heart felt like it was breaking.  The Lord has really blessed us these last few weeks. 
 
Okay starting from from the top of the list of miracles.  We had a baptism on Saturday.  His name is Marcelo and he is the son of a woman in the ward that we visit weekly.  It has been amazing because this has been a 10 year journey.  His mom, Ana, joined the church 10 years ago after Marcelo took her to the temple in Hawaii.  She joined the church quickly and became a very faithful member.  Ana has amazing faith.  Marcelo wasn't interested.  For the past 10 years Ana has been trying to get Marcelo interested and he has resisted.  Then this year the Lord has really been working with him to soften his heart.  About a month ago we started teaching him and it is amazing how prepared he is.  It is has been amazing every time we taught him.  He is so excited to be a member of the church. 
 
He didn't want to tell his mom that he was taking the lessons and so we taught him in secret,  which I enjoyed immensely.  It just made me laugh every time.  Of my favorite moments.  Marcelo had to change his phone number and he sent us a text with the new number in the morning.  We had a lesson with ana that day and she said, "Marcelo changed his number.  Let me give it to you just in case."  We said thank you and reentered it into our phone.Another favorite moment was when when we had a lesson with Marcelo at his house and his mom walked in on us teaching.  I had the urge to quickly close my scriptures and throw them under the table.  The whole situation was hilarious. 
 
Anyway this week was incredibly stressful and because Marcelo was scheduled for baptism but we still had SO much to teach him- he didn't have a baptismal interview yet- he was sick and working- and Ana still didn't know but almost the whole ward knew.  (Marcelo wanted to keep the baptism a surprise.)  Long story short  the Lord took care of things and Marcelo was so prepared for baptism.  We got everything for baptism and Marcelo brought his mom to the church about 20 minutes before the baptism.  It was one of the most touching moments when he told her that he was getting baptized.  I think it was the best baptism that I have ever went to. The spirit was so strong their.  I just feel like I am still on this baptism high!!  It was amazing. 
We went to go and visit them after the baptism and I just had to keep looking back at Marcelo.  I don't think I have ever felt this before but something just seemed different.  I kept trying to figure out what was different and I couldn't put my finger on it but there was something absolutely different.  I am so excited for Marcelo.
 
But that's not all folks.  Still more miracles.  We are still working with Alex and Maria even though they missed their baptismal date earlier this month.  Sister Campbell and I had a goal of another date before I left.  On Sunday we went and decided to teach about exultation.  What does it mean to be with our heavenly father.  All through the lesson Alex was totally engaged.  We talked about a lot but at the end we simplified it down to the idea of being exalted it being with our heavenly Father, having complete confidence in the lord and being with our family forever.  We gave them a moment to think about what that meant and then Alex, said he wanted to get baptized.  He didn't want to wait anymore.  We set it for about a month away and then yesterday they moved it up two weeks!  Maria is going to get baptized to.  Apparently she has been feeling like she needs to get baptized but she was just waiting for a stronger feeling.  I'm so excited.  I really think that this one is going to go through because it came from them. Not from us.  Overall it's an awesome way to leave an area.
 
Actually its a terrible way to leave an area, because after Alex and Maria get baptized we have run out of investigators.  Sorry sister Campbell! 
 
I'm going to be transferred today and I'm excited for my new area.  I really want to be an even better missionary.  I am pretty sad to leave the people here and I am really sad to leave sister Campbell but I know that she is going to do great!  Personally I think getting away from her trainer is exactly what she need.  Ha!  Time to cut the apron strings.
 
Well I'll let you know how everything goes and where I am next week.  I love you so much! 
 
Sister Allred

No comments: