Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Christmas Shoppers

This Christmas season has been a very interesting experience for me. For the past three weeks I have been working as a cashier at Best Buy. It has allowed me to see the other side of Christmas shopping. The seller's side.

I have noticed that there are basically two different kinds of costumers; the happy ones and the angry ones. Now of course these categories really are more like a spectrum. There are people who really are saturated with the Christmas spirit, and there are some people who seem to be angry at me personally for how expensive their purchase is. Don't shoot me, I'm just the messenger!!

Anyway I love the happy ones. I always have a great little story about them. Once I was really enjoying the day, and I turned to the waiting line, said "Next" and flashed an older gentleman a huge smile. Suddenly he cocked his head and walk jauntily to my station. As he came closer I thought, "Wow, this is how a dandy would come up to me." During the whole transaction he was gallant and caviler. He was such a gentleman , and when he left, i was all in a flutter.

Another time I had a lady who wasn't to much older than me. She was buying a beyonce cd and on the back is a picture of beyonce in the most unbelievable position. The lady saw it and "Do you see that picture! Do you see that?" I barley had any time to reply before she went on, "And she looks so comfortable like that. It's like she just hangs around the house like that! It unbelievable. Way the raise the bar for the rest of us, Beyonce!"

I have a sometimes very enjoyable job. Whether its the house mom who cheers at the end of her transaction, that she finally finished the Christmas Shopping, or the man who holds up the long line by sharing with me the secrets of life, I get a kick out of my job.

1 comment:

ESN said...

You're great! I think anyone would like to check out with the angel cashier.